I haven’t had pesto in soooooooo long because of all the bad things that they have in the packaged versions. There’s always a horrible vegetable oil, sugar, too much salt and all sorts of additives that are just no good for our bodies! Today, I’m going to show you my favourite pesto chicken recipe as well as a staple pesto recipe.
I stumbled across this incredible pesto recipe one night and have had it every week since!
You could put this with veggies, or even with your salads as an extra boost of nutrients but either way this is a great staple sauce to have instead of a packaged one.
(note: there are no specific measurements for this but these are just suggested servings to get you started. When you do whizz it all together – it may not seem like a lot of sauce but trust me… a little goes a long way!!)
- 2 tablespoons of roasted pine nuts
- A handful or two of spinach leaves
- ¼ bunch of basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of goats cheese
- 3 tablespoons of water
Whizz everything up in a blender/nutribullet/vitamix until everything is combined.
This pesto is fabulous over salads for lunches.
For dinners, I make what I like to call the green monster.
Green Monster Ingredients:
- Brown rice
- 2 x Chicken breasts
- In a saucepan, boil water with a pinch of salt and add brown rice. This will take around 30 minutes to cook.
- While you wait for the rice, cut up the chicken breasts into cubes or strips and cook in a pan with some olive oil (could also use garlic infused olive oil).
- While you wait for the chicken and rice to cook, cut up you veggies and boil them in another saucepan of water until they’re soft.
- Once the veggies are cooked, drain them and add them to the pan with the chicken. (always double check that your chicken is cooked through!)
- Once your rice is ready, drain and add to the pan with the chicken and veggies and add your pesto sauce.
- Serve and DEVOUR!!
Want to be a part of community where we focus on your holistic health (Nutrition and fitness)? Call or email us to find the right class and location for you. Joining the Rebalance Family means more than just a workout. We care about your wellbeing and have a supportive environment. We prioritise your wellbeing and provide a sanctuary for you to come and relax. Workout. But workout with purpose with us!
Written by Bec Hartley, Digital Marketing Assistant